[Expertfinder-dev] [Fwd: Re: New: SIOC & Related Ontologies]

Axel Polleres axel.polleres
Fri Sep 22 22:36:55 UTC 2006

sorry for cross-posting... FYI:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/SIOC/RelatedOntologies

  Note that this text is very SIOC specific, but for ExpertFinder, I
plan something similar more or less from a foaf perspective and taking
ontologies into account which are more within our coverage focus.

cheers,
axel

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: New: SIOC & Related Ontologies
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:34:54 +0200
From: Axel Polleres <droxel at gmail.com>
To: sioc-dev at googlegroups.com
CC: Uldis Bojars <uldis.bojars at deri.org>

Hi Uldis, all,

I tried to give it a go, being clear about that there are more experts
in this list on the treated voacbularies and standards, I tried to
outline relations to foaf, rss, dublin core, skos briefly.

http://esw.w3.org/topic/SIOC/RelatedOntologies

1) The main thing for this first attempt is that I found quite some
issues which I think should be clarified before finalizing this
document: I mentioned issues in bold text and in the last column of the
the concluding table on the wiki page.

2) I think this document/section should evolve in parallel with

http://rdfs.org/sioc/mappings

On the wiki page I already sketched some mappings which IMO are missing
and/or should be discussed.

opinions and corrections welcome,
this definitly needs much refinement before it can go as part of the
submission,

axel

p.s.: in the spec you also mention ontologies such as the KWeb portal
ontology, the deri-swportal ontology, andreas' dblp ontology, etc.,etc.
shall we treat these (IMO, only briefly, since these are all proprietary
developments which were so far only used within a quite limited context.)

Uldis Bojars wrote:
> Another part that needs improvement in the SIOC specification is a
> description of its relations with and usage together with other
> ontologies.
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SIOC/RelatedOntologies
>
> We have created a new wiki page to describe this. Please contribute
> your views.
>
> This document may get quite lengthy and detailed - therefore we may
> consider having it as a separate document that is a part of the member
> submission. Then we can fill it with more information (figures,
> examples?) how to use them together.
>
> Section of the specification "External Classes and Properties" has some
> of the information that can be used as a basis of this description.
>
> Best,
> Uldis

Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel at polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/