[expertfinder-dev] Expertfinder workshop in Busan summary

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 05:30:51 GMT 2007

Greets all

Despite minimal  list activity of recent months, Experfinder seems to
be a buzzying underworld, a lot of people are doing Expertfinder
related projects even if they are not active in the group. The
conference at Busan was an occasion to meet up with a few of these,
this email is an attempt to start exchanges and collaboration among
the various projects.
I have volunteered to make a start, but I need everybody's input

As promised

THESE MINUTES ARE POSTED ON THE WIKI, PLEASE HELP TO EDIT /COMPLETE
THEM AND MAKE THE NEXT STEP
http://wiki.foaf-project.org/Minutes_of_Meeting_at_Busan

In addition to those who were present at the workshop,
listed here http://fews.semanticweb.org/

I have found three more people at the conference who have an interest
in EF (copied in cc in this email)

1. Poster Session Guy from China has experfinder algorithm  (have card
somewhere in bag, Aldo, anyone else,  did you capture his email?must
dig in bag )

2. Aldo Gangemi, whose session title did not have the word
Expertfinder in it, but he said it was an expertfinder related project
I thinnks it's this one
http://iswc2007.semanticweb.org/papers/757.pdf

3. Peter Mika, who has worked on PFIF (Peter could you post to the
wiki a summary of your involvement with PFIF from your notes, so that
we can keep a record of that. Peter agreed to work with Expertfinder
on 2 things
a. help us test any expertfinder implementation against 'open' search
(he works for Yahoo now)
b. give feedback and improvement suggestions on expertinder
implementations from the search point of view

After the workshop we had a brief meeting , and then a stand up get
together in a coffee break where a couple more people managed to shake
hands. Rough minutes below

- Present: John Breslin, Axel Polleres, Lyndon NIxon, Harold Boley,
Paola Di Maio, Francesco Corcoglioniti, Terence Jardines
a couple of silent guys at the back whose names I did not catch
(add yourself if I missed someone)

Discussion points: how should expertfinder project evolve?

TO DO:
Make project plan with schedules (discuss with list)
Make web page and buy domain name (John Breslin, Axel)
other?
Clear Intellectual Property Issues (the contributions are copyright of
the respective authors unless otherwise stated?)

Decisions to be made:

- Establish a loose collaboration environment and framework for people
to collaborate on Expertfinder Projects
(wiki and mailing list, asking people to share their work)

- Make a roadmap and some decision points with project schedules and
deadlines that will 'force us' us take action as needed
as opposed
Ask people already working on Expertfinder related projects the
following questions

- What do you think the goals of the projects should be?
- What projects are you working on? what questions/problems are you facing?
- What can the expertfinder community help you with?
- What can you contribute to this project?
- What would you like to see/done in this workgroup?

Suggestions:
1. Anyone with a expertfinder related project is  WARMLY INVITED
(REPEAT WARMLY INVITED) to share what they are doing
with others on the list

2. Anyone who is making an Expertfinder related decision is invited to
share/discuss with others to see if there is possible common ground

3. Those in need of resources (for example a programmer, or an
analyst, or domain expert in some thing related to an expertfinder
project) could drop an email on the list, so that others may jump in.
For example, Paola needs to do a test implementatio of her experfinder
project in the enxt few months, and instead of starting from scratch,
would like to evauate the possiblity of using what other people have
done arleady, if it makes sense to save up resources

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS

LETS PROPOSE ISWC  RESOURCES (PAPERS, POSTERS, TAGS AND PEOPLE) ARE
ALL POSTED/REFERENCED ON ONE CENTRAL PAGE, AND PLEASE LETS CONSIDER
MAKING A MAILING LIST? I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND SOME PEOPLE'S CONTACTS
DETAILS IN MY NOTES THAT I REALLY WANTED TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH AND
CONTINUE THE DISCUSSIONS

have I forgotten something?
please add share!
cheers

disclaimer: the above has been compiled from the top off my head with headache
it does not constitute a faithful account of the facts as they
occurred, but as i recall them

--
Paola Di Maio
School of IT