[expertfinder-dev] expertfinder updates

Axel Polleres axel.polleres at deri.org
Mon Jan 21 14:30:20 GMT 2008

paola.dimaio at gmail.com wrote:
> Axel, remember when we discussed in Busan that we could/should try
> to test our own expertise rankings among this community?
>
> for me, this is the time, as in the next 4 weeks I plan to do things
> and would very much
> like to benefit from the expertise of the expertfinder team
>
> I order to to so, I would very much like to have 2 things set up asap
>
> 1. the taxonomy module on the new drupal website - this is because I
> am putting together a map of expertise based on a kind contribution of
> a world class donor (to be named when I have the taxonomy in hand with
> regular permission to use it)  who is making their
> expertise taxonomy available to us.I'd like to load the expertise
> hierarchy in some form, and obviously would like to discuss the
> various configuration options with the list.

Will you provide it in some RDF and/or OWL (compatible) format
or as a SKOS vocabulary?

> People may or may not use the expertise taxonomy in their projects,
> but somehow I feel
> this would be a useful resource for many of us (for my project for sure)

Is it a generic or a domain specific ontology?

I think we should first get agreement on the properties and classes to
use to describe expertise... Tom Heath's hoonoh seemed to provide some
good starting points for a minimalistic vocabulary, but we had still
some open questions pending on that.

> 2. I also need to load the FOAF module extension to the current site,
> (modiffied with expertise properties)

which properties are you referring to here?

> so that when people register
> they can each add their expertise to their profile, providing a test
> bed for us to work with
>
> I also would like admin access to the site, so I can get my geek
> friends to do the above
> should nobody on this list know what I am talking about

I would suggest to keep the site stable and use the wikie for topics
under development/discussion.

> (I am not sure I make myself clear, for those who dont undersand what
> I am talking about, please check out my outline here
> www.slideshare.net/PaolaDIM/foaf-expertfinder-epr-poster-session
> and let me have any questions)

I think we need a concrete proposal for properties, classes to extend
e.g. foaf with expertise annotations and concrete
taxonomies/classifications for expertise, one of which you seem to
propose above.

> I have a couple of possible people interested in harnessing our
> expertise in this expertfinder
> exercise, so it would be useful if we find a way of being
> functional/articulating the works

I'd suggest to open new wiki-subpages to start discussion and clarify
the questions I raise above, whenever something has reached a sufficient
level of maturity, we can move it over to the "main" webpage... you
might also find useful to first read what is already there, we had some
pointers on the wiki and in papers already where we don't want to
re-invent the wheel of course (please try to stick to naming conventions
on the wiki as well and not create them on the top-level of the foaf
pages, but as subpages of expertfinder. thanks)

best,
Axel