[expertfinder-dev] expertfinder updates

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:29:55 GMT 2008

> Will you provide it in some RDF and/or OWL (compatible) format
> or as a SKOS vocabulary?

at the moment, from the description I get by the provider, it is a
text form, that is what I need it as for now

 as the drupal taxonomy module works by concatenating keywords, so now
I have the keywords, although, its 520,000 thousand of them! I seek to
boil them down to a few high level domains

but anyone wanting to generate further representations thereof,  can do so
it would be available to use as required

> > People may or may not use the expertise taxonomy in their projects,
> > but somehow I feel
> > this would be a useful resource for many of us (for my project for sure)

I have not seen it yet, I am expecting the dump this week
its a taxonomy (only terms related to each other by a hierarchy in its
simplest form)
I am told its a well sorted linked list that represents more or less all
of the existing knowledge categories in the world (umph)
I cant wait to load it somewhere accessible for people to play with,
but we are waiting for specific usage permissions

> I think we should first get agreement on the properties and classes to
> use to describe expertise... Tom Heath's hoonoh seemed to provide some
> good starting points for a minimalistic vocabulary, but we had still
> some open questions pending on that.

well, we should, and we should not.(to be or not to be, this is the question)

I know (okay I dont know yet but I will know next week, and I want
your opinion but other than that I will make the decision for my
project) what expertise properties I intend to model to start with for
my project, but this does not mean that each expertfinder project
will have to follow the same expertise modelling convention

because thats a good way to get stuck!
in the sense that I have not yet managed to find more than two experts
who agree on everything (my postgrad studies were in knowledge and
expertise modelling,)

i look forward to be studying honoooh,,, Tooom, updates???
and other possible models, but when its time to load my application, I
will do so
with what I have got in hand, there will be plenty of opportunities to update
the properties later

dont you think?

I only want to set up a working prototype for people to start playing
with and make further suggestions

> > 2. I also need to load the FOAF module extension to the current site,
> > (modiffied with expertise properties)
>
> which properties are you referring to here?

I have discussed my proposed approach (roughly modelling kads
methodology) with many of you at the workshop, and online - a new
property that I am going to introduce in the foafX vesion of foaf,
which is a clone of foaf plus a property called 'expertise'
this will first calculated based on an elementary ranking algorithm,
in a rather dummy form, and then upgraded, improved, expanded  and
made less trivial as things move along
at the moment I am looking for proof of concept

when I have something up to show, I have a few people on standby
waiting to give good advice but now there is nowhere to point them to

> > so that when people register
> > they can each add their expertise to their profile, providing a test
> > bed for us to work with
> >
> > I also would like admin access to the site, so I can get my geek
> > friends to do the above
> > should nobody on this list know what I am talking about
>
> I would suggest to keep the site stable and use the wikie for topics
> under development/discussion.

The taxonomy module and the person profile add ons on drupal are
perfectly stable!!!

the wiki is great, but does not deliver the functionality that I need
to start testing
this group expertise using my proposed approach.

(I can always take my project onto another drupal implementation, but somehow
I thought this new website would have to be made useful
.  i think this site could be our test site,  at least we get it used
for something rather than just sitting pretty :-))

> I think we need a concrete proposal for properties, classes to extend
> e.g. foaf with expertise annotations and concrete
> taxonomies/classifications for expertise, one of which you seem to
> propose above.

well, I am not really proposing them for adoption yet
and most importantly, I am not entering into lenghty discussion now I
have got a job
to finish before the end of next month (set up a working prototype)

I am only proposing them for my project, which you will be very welcome to
comment/debunk/contribute etc - you dont have to adopt it

basically, now I dont have time to get into philosophical discussions
whether people like
what I do or not cause I am working on  a deadline, and thats 25 th of
february for this first phase. after that you will have six months to
comment before I go to phase 2 which is when I will be able to make a
recommendation for general adoption

the loading of the modules suggested above does not mean that every
expertfinder project
must adopt them, but that they are available to be
used/configured/improved as required

> > I have a couple of possible people interested in harnessing our
> > expertise in this expertfinder
> > exercise, so it would be useful if we find a way of being
> > functional/articulating the works
>
> I'd suggest to open new wiki-subpages to start discussion and clarify
> the questions I raise above, whenever something has reached a sufficient
> level of maturity, we can move it over to the "main" webpage... you
> might also find useful to first read what is already there, we had some
> pointers on the wiki and in papers already where we don't want to
> re-invent the wheel of course (please try to stick to naming conventions
> on the wiki as well and not create them on the top-level of the foaf
> pages, but as subpages of expertfinder. thanks)

Axel, you are right about the wiki, while multitasking my brain is
spread out thin
and unfortunately it shows

but for the job that I need done, i need a drupal implementation

I maintain a couple of other drupal websites, and I am reasonably
familiar with the environment (although I do need geek support to
install and manage the modules on the server)

however, if you dont feel comfortable with the above for whatever
reason, I understand that
no worries!!

I ll do my project on another site  (where I will load the taxonomy
and the extended foaf module etc) you and the others wil always be
welcome to join and crash ttest/debunk
that one

that may also work better for me, thinking about it - at least I wont
have to be inhibited by the fears of breaking our homepage, god
forbid!

Let me know if the latter approach will work better for you
I will then open a dedicated mailing list too, and copy this list with all mails
where we hope to get input, would this work better?

cheers

PDM