[rdfweb-dev] Re: rdfweb update, web-o-trust tests etc

Dan Brickley daniel.brickley at b...
Mon Aug 21 18:13:20 UTC 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>
> [snip. thanks for the GEDCOM and other stuff; hope to find time to check
> it out]
> >
> > > The biggest showstopper I can think of is privacy issue / spam prevention.
> > > All I can think to say is, if you want to keep something truly private,
> > > use crypto. If it's public, you're on notice that it's gonna be _very_
> > > public! Re spam, well at least it might be better targetted in future.
> > > Glib answers...
> >
> > course, I don't want the aggregator to make it public to the world -- only
> > to those special friends. I could encrypt it, but then the aggregator
> > couldn't index it. Hmm, I guess I need to just trust the aggregator. Anyone
> > see a way out of this mess? (Or even understand what I'm blathering about?)

Oops, missed this (good) point. The aggregator at least needs to know it
_has_ you personal details, even if it can't see them. Or does it? Not
sure what granularity is appropriate -- revealing properties/attributes
of an exotic variety (which I'll leave to others' imagination) could
compromise privacy even if the values of those fields remain scrambled.

fiddly...

Dan

ps. for me, I'll probably keep all my scrambled data in separate RDF
files seeAlso'd from my main webwho.xrdf file. handwave handwave...