rdfweb update, web-o-trust tests etc

Aaron Swartz aswartz at s...
Mon Aug 21 22:43:16 UTC 2000

Dan Brickley <daniel.brickley at b...> wrote:

> However I'd be happy to let it
> flow around the network encrypted for a particular audience.

Good point, I forgot about that.

> Haven't
> looked into the nitty-gritty of getting PGP/GPG to scramble something in
> such a way as it can be read by any of (several dozen) keys, but reckon
> something like that should be feasible (ahem; I should RTFM).

I know it can be done -- I've done it before -- but the end result came out
pretty large and I have a suspicion it just encrypted it individually for
each key and concatenated it together.

> Better to try building it instead...

That's our motto: "if you build it, it will work." :-) Field of Angle
Brackets, eh? Or, perhaps Angle Brackets in the Outfield. (OK, OK, I'll
stop.)

Later he added:

> Oops, missed this (good) point. The aggregator at least needs to know it
> _has_ you personal details, even if it can't see them. Or does it? Not
> sure what granularity is appropriate -- revealing properties/attributes
> of an exotic variety (which I'll leave to others' imagination) could
> compromise privacy even if the values of those fields remain scrambled.
>
> fiddly...

Yeah, now you see. This is discussed in the great book, Applied
Cryptography. The example is creating a service that hooks together people
who do similar things, but don't want to let out that info except to other
people who do the same thing. The example is that Alice does kinky things
with teddy bears, and wants to know if Bob does the same. The solution is
that they both hash their interests and see if they match, but I don't see
how that'd work in this instance. But my brain is sort of fuzzy from
mandatory exercise, so perhaps you guys can see what I've missed. The book
promised that a better solution would be describe in chapter
something-or-other, but it never seemed to come. When I tried to go back and
find the reference, it seemed to disappear too. Weird. I tried looking in
the index under teddy bear, but that didn't work. :-) Wish I could grep it.

Leaving little to the imagination today,

--
Aaron Swartz |"This information is top security.
<http://swartzfam.com/aaron/>| When you have read it, destroy yourself."