How do we distinguish between a RDF node on the Semantic Web and a WWW page ?

Aaron Swartz aswartz at s...
Mon Mar 5 19:08:39 UTC 2001

Seth Russell <seth at r...> wrote:

> How best can we distinguish between the Resource [1] which is a HTML
> document and the Seth RDF node that is described below? Do we need to make
> such a distinction? What are the pitfalls of this ambiguity? How can we
> best disambiguify it?

It has always been my belief that the resource is a platonic ideal which is
merely represented by the bits you get back from the server. In keeping with
this idea, I've felt that if in the bits you explain the resource they
represent, than it can be generally assumed that they represent that
resource. Example:

<q cite="http://logicerror.com/myWeavingTheWeb">
The URI: http://logicerror.com/myWeavingTheWeb identifies Aaron Swartz's
copy of Weaving the Web. This copy of the book can be identified by the
fact that it has this URI written in the front cover.
</q>

Then the question becomes what is the URI for those bits...

--
[ Aaron Swartz | me at a... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]