[rdfweb-dev] Re: How do we distinguish between a RDF node on the Semantic Web and a WWW page ?

Seth Russell seth at r...
Mon Mar 5 19:49:19 UTC 2001

charset="iso-8859-1"

From: Aaron Swartz=20

It has always been my belief that the resource is a platonic ideal which is=
merely represented by the bits you get back from the server. In keeping wi=
th this idea, I've felt that if in the bits you explain the resource they r=
epresent, than it can be generally assumed that they represent that resourc=
e. Example:

<q cite=3D"http://logicerror.com/myWeavingTheWeb">
The URI: http://logicerror.com/myWeavingTheWeb identifies Aaron Swartz'=
copy of Weaving the Web. This copy of the book can be identified by the
fact that it has this URI written in the front cover.
</q>

Then the question becomes what is the URI for those bits...

Yes, in the case I propose, we have just one "platonic ideal" and one URI. =
Both the web page in question (bits formated in HTML) and the RDF node in =
question (bits expressable in Semenglish) represent the same "platonic idea=
l", so it's not a question of to which platonic ideal we refer, because the=
re is only the one.=20=20

As I mentioned in the (QuickWeb discussion of URI) this is an ontological q=
uestion ... or perhaps it is just my confusion ...

language: Semenglish

Resorce subclassOf Thing.
(a RDF node)=20
subclassOf Resource;