foaf:knows foaf:knowsWell foaf:friend ... : time to choose!

Dan Brickley daniel.brickley at b...
Mon Mar 12 18:41:38 UTC 2001

(renamed thread to focus on one small obstacle to 1.0 rollout)

Thanks Edd, though i do (sometimes!) quite like being reminded that
others find this project intersting enough to complain that i've not
finished it. RDFWeb remains an evenings and weekends sideproject right
now :( Anyhow the problems not with the XML/RDF serialisation so much as
with the figuring out quite how to structure the base vocab. The current
deployed vocab can be discovered fairly easily by reverse
engineering: just look at the types and relations in the RDF dumps
linked from rdfweb.org or spider them independently. The core of the
problem is as follows:

we have foaf:knows foaf:knowsWell foaf:friend all jumbled up. 'friend'
was the original, but I took it out and put knows/knowsWell instead, but
never gave them a good definition.

I want this to be easily adopted, and make intuitive sense to people,
and not make them delay their rdf self-description by forcing them to
classify everyone they know as 'knows well' or (merely)'knows'.

current thinking: flatten the core 'knows' down to a single loose
relation 'foaf:knows'; no 'friend' or 'knows well' stuff. Instead, we
let them tell the Web their story via other factoids (event logs,
co-authorship, working for the same organisation, appearing
in same holiday pictures... whatever). But keep the core of FOAF to
foaf:knows.

how does that sound?

dan