[rdfweb-dev] IRC channel

Dan Brickley daniel.brickley at b...
Mon Mar 12 19:28:41 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Seth Russell wrote:

> From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean at m...>

> > Try looking at the source of http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ The RDF stuff
> > is all at the bottom.
>
> Thanks Sean. Thing is, how was a guy like me to know to look for it there ?

At some point, it has to bottom out with native competencies, such as
the ability to read English ;-)

Excerpt from http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
[[
This document contains embedded x/rdf statements defining and describing
the foaf vocabulary. This is intended for machine consumption. Humans
might find the RDFWeb.org documentation more useful right now. All this
needs rationalising. --danbri
]]

Aside from translating into multiple natural languages, I'm at a loss as
to how it could have been much clearer for humans. As for machines, I
expect XML/RDF processors to understand namespaces, and hence to see
that this document uses XHTML and RDF namespaces.

> IMHO putting the RDF schema right there in the document that is retrieved by
> the URL to the URI of the schema is the ideal case. But it seems like an

It leads to some redunancy in document management, unless one uses XSLT
or similar to keep human and machine portions of the doc in sync.

> HTML page that contains the schema document should have some button or
> indication that is readable by humans (even bots) so that they know to look
> for it inside the document.

for humans, prose (and maybe a powered-by-rdf logo?); for machines,
namespaces (and maybe mime types).

> I wonder if we could get the W3C to agree on a icon/text/placement best
> practice that is standard for this purpose ?

icon: unlikely. Maybe some useful boilerplate text will emerge from
common practice, and eventually get documented as a Note. But this sort
of thing isn't something folk need W3C to do, imho.

Dan