[rdfweb-dev] bacon numbers: William Loughborough

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Mon Apr 29 00:41:35 UTC 2002

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

> "Dan Brickley" <danbri at w...>
> > OK, I've found someone with a Bacon number:
>
> Surely that wasn't a difficult job, he's quite a prolific actor I
> understand...

Yeah, I meant someone we had RDF description of, photos, knew etc..

> http://oracleofbacon.org/cgi-bin/oracle/movielinks?firstname=Bacon%2C+Kevi
> n&game=1&secondname=william+love
> >
> > Co-depiction paths for William are in the Web at:
> >
> http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2002/02/paths/allabout.jsp?mbox=mail
> to:love26 at g...
>
> but which one in the photos is he? I don't know the guy, there's no point
> telling me he's in the photo if you don't tell me which bits are him?

That page shows paths from some specified person, in this case William. So
he's in the first picture of every row. The 'old geezer' as he'd probably
put it. http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/2002/02/blindless/ (his book,
XHTML'd) and homepage for more info: http://w3.gorge.net/love26/

> On a related note I've been discussing with someone who wishes to annotate
> parts of SVG images as part of making them more accessible (annotate the
> relationship between elements within the image to aid a SVG to Speech
> engine to better render the content.) I'm trying to convince him to do
> this in RDF (he's currently looking at just having this in his own XML
> it's more useful than that I feel), and want to relate it to my own
> thoughts on providing meta data of image elements.
>
> So if anyone has any initial thoughts let me know, I'll post some fuller
> ideas when I've fleshed them out.

I don't know that much about SVG internals. Most detail I've seen is the
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/ note at W3C. I would like to revisit our
discussion about conventions for representing SVG structures (paths at
least) within the RDF graph, which I guess is almost the opposite of what
you're talking about here. We seem to flip and flop between putting the
RDF inside the SVG and vice-versa! I certainly want to be able to use the
RDF descriptions to generate speech-browser image descriptions. Not sure
whether this means the RDF descriptions should be split up within the SVG
file, or whether a single big blob is OK. The former would seem more
nicely modular: image fragments could be recombined, and carry with them
useful descriptions. Hmm, I need to think about this some more!

If you've got examples to post, that'd be good. We could try making
different representations of the same scenario...