Past echoes

Earle Martin rdf at d...
Fri Aug 2 20:43:32 UTC 2002

Hello,

I'm reading Umberto Eco's "The Search for the Perfect Language" at the
moment, and I came across the following passage, which reminded me strongly
of the RDFweb. I thought it might be of interest.

"During the Enlightenment... the realm of scientific knowledge began to take
on the appearance of a labyrinth, a network of forking and twisting
paths.... The philosopher was whoever discovered the hidden passageways
within that labyrinth, the provisional interconnections, the web of mutually
dependent associations which constituted such a network as a geographical
representation.

"[In his introduction to the _Encyclopedies_ (1751)[1], d'Alembert said]:

"'...it is possible to imagine that there are as many systems of human
knowledge as there are representations of the world constructed according to
different projections.... Often, an object placed in one particular class on
account of one or another of its properties may re-appear in another class
because of other properties.'"

Seems like it's a long road we're walking.

Cheers

Earle.

[1] http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/ARTFL/projects/encyc/

--
I am against systems, the most acceptable system is on principle to have
none. - Tristan Tzara, "Dada Manifesto"