[rdfweb-dev] FOAF-a-matic

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Wed Jul 10 18:42:59 UTC 2002

> There's a list in http://rdfweb.org/~pldab/rdfweb/scutterplan.txt

...some of which are a little out of date.

I've tidied up most of my stuff now
(http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/webwho.xrdf and the docs rdfs:seealso'd
from there).

Also (did I send a note round about this? guess not) I just updated the
FOAF namespace document, http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ and added a (machine
generated) table of classes and properties to the HTML, alongside the
embedded RDF. I also GPG-signed the HTML version and the
(content-negotiable: use application/rdf+xml) RDF-only versions of the
namespace document.

What else...? Oh yeah, FOAF-as-deployed survey. See the 'scutterstats'
file(s) in http://rdfweb.org/2002/foaf/ for some rough stats on the
classes and properties my harvester has encountered.

Leigh -- nice tool, and much needed :)

Couple of quick nitpicks re http://www.ldodds.com/foaf/foaf-a-matic.html
current output:

* mailto: is needed in the rdf:resource bit.
<foaf:mbox rdf:resource="libby.miller at b..."/>
should be ....mailto:libby.miller at e...

* <foaf:workhomepage rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/"/>
...see scutterstats doc for all the other spelling / capitalisation
variants of this property. http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/workplaceHomepage
is what we have in the schema.

We also have firstName, surname, givenname (I forget difference, can
someone explain which means what? <blush/>). The generator could perhaps
include these, as well as concatenating to produce foaf:name.

A new possibility. I just added foaf:mbox_sha1sum for putting
sha1-scrambled mailboxes into the graph. Haven't worked out the details.
I did notice there's a sha1 javascript library out there, so could
perhaps add that too. This'd make it easier for people to describe
themself without having their mailbox harvested by spammers.

Oh yeah, I scribbled some syntax tips / examples into
http://rdfweb.org/rweb/wiki/wiki.pl?FOAFSyntaxTips this morning. Might
be useful.

cheers,

Dan

ps. re the old files below, things to watch out for (and remove....):

(i) genid:danbri, genid:blah etc as URIs for people -- an ugly hack, no
longer needed.
(i) foaf:friend, foaf:knowsWell: abandoned in place of generic
foaf:knows, with other info suggested but not implied through other
factoids, eg. co-depictions.