[rdfweb-dev] FOAF 0.1: Organized, Explained, Collated, Part One

Edd Dumbill edd at u...
Fri Jul 12 16:47:49 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 17:27, Morbus Iff wrote:
> edd also just informed me of:
>
> http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/irclogs/foaf/
> irc.openprojects.net:6667/foaf/2002-07-10.html#T10-52-55
>
> which suggests:
>
> <foaf:nick>
> <foaf:Nickname foaf:nickDomain="http://www.ebay.co.uk"
> rdf:value="gravling" />
> </foaf:nick>
>
> Which seems to have a similar thought process on where
> I was heading. That, however, doesn't allow stuff that
> is not domaininish (irc://opn.net/swhack). Maybe I'm wrong.
> edd mentioned the thought process had been refined since then.

the value of nickDomain is any resource, so irc://opn.net/swhack is
perfectly fine (irc only permits one nick on the entire server, so the
channel specific bit is probably not warranted, but no reason you
couldn't keep it in).

however danbri suggested using foaf:cnick (c means controlled or
canonical) instead of rdf:value in the above, which sounds good to me.

i think our revised proposal came to something like;

<foaf:domainSpecificNick>
<foaf:DomainSpecificNick>
<foaf:nickDomain rdf:resource="irc://irc.openprojects.net/" />
<foaf:cnick>edd</foaf:cnick>
</foaf:DomainSpecificNick>
</foaf:domainSpecificNick>

danbri, i can't remember well enough, i think you came up with something
a little slicker than that... ?

-- Edd