[rdfweb-dev] Re: FOAF 0.1: Organized, Explained, Collated, Part One

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at b...
Mon Jul 15 13:32:00 UTC 2002

>>>Aaron Swartz said:
> It doesn't work because the RDF/XML syntax was designed by a committee.

A working group. And you are on the successor Aaron ;)

> I agree that something like this should be allowed. Since this will
> never happen, you will have to use the more verbose:
>
> <foaf:nick foaf:domain="http://www.icq.com/" rdf:value="2927491" />

Despite what it looks like here, the values of attributes in RDF/XML
are always literals, not URIs, so that gives, in N-Triples:

_:a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/nick> _:b .
_:b <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/domain> "http://www.icq.com/" .
_:b <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#value> "2927491" .

NOT

_:a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/nick> _:b .
_:b <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/domain> <http://www.icq.com/> .
_:b <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#value> "2927491" .

I don't know the actual reasoning why, but basically you can't
annotate an XML attribute to distingish it without an extra
schema of some sort (DTD, W3C XML Schema, ...)

Dave