[rdfweb-dev] Bartering

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Sat Nov 30 12:47:34 UTC 2002

Yes, this should be a very fruitful area to explore. I particularly like the
idea of supporting small businesses. I've also tinkered a little,
experimenting with 'foafshop' files linked in from one's main foaf.rdf doc,
and describing a set of offerering of items, each with price and dublin core
info. I'm certainly not married to that particular format proposal. There are
lots of ways we could do this. And (as is always the way) they overlap with
various RDF/XML vocabularies that folk are developing.

Some pre-8am saturday scribbles:

* organisations as well as people can publish and seeAlso-crossreference
foaf.rdf files
* organisations more than people will have use for geographic location info
(lattitude, longitude; postcode, street address etc)
* we should finish adding the address vocab to foaf
* ...and settle on some geo vocab
* describing skills and interests is a common task across jobs, cvs and
'here is what i'm interested in' apps. We still handwave on this.
We should be able to express interest and/or skill in a topic area...
* using an indicative page, eg 'I'm interested in the topic indicated
by the page http://www.w3.org/RDF/'
* ...using library or open directory categories, eg. 'this job
requires skill in the topic whose DMoz category is ...'
* Buy'n'sell apps will be fun. We can (per foafshop example) use
some fairly generic vocab to talk about the price and characteristics
of _instances_ of numerous classes. For this I'd use Wordnet as a bootstrap.
eg. one might describe an instance of wn:Car, and also provide a photo of
that particular car.
* for purchasing, we could talk about classes rather than instances. A shop
might describe itself via address, geo vocab, use rdf-calendar for opening
hours, and then list the classes of thing (wn:Bread, wn:Meat, wn:Candlestick)
that it typically sells.
* (lost the url for this) Libby and I once set about photographing all the
shops in a busy street in Bristol (Glocester Rd) thinking we'd catalogue
some of them in this way as a testbed, complete with GPS data from my palm.
Would be nice to revisit that...

Anyways, my foafshop scribble is at http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/rdfweb/danbri-foafshop.rdf
...I welcome any thoughts on how these different approaches compare.

More urls:

http://rdfweb.org/foaf/corp/intro.html
(this moved; I should put in a redirect)

http://foafnaut.org/ -> http://www.grorg.org/2002/10/foafcorp/
http://www.grorg.org/2002/10/foafcorp/foafcorp.svg (dean's svg viewer :)

Does anyone have some data describing small businesses (shops etc) we could
use to experiment with variations on such markup? Or stuff you want
to sell? ;-)

I suspect we'll only see lots of foafshop-style data once there are apps
that consume it, eg. foafbot, foafnaut and the www-based foaf aggregators
don't currently expose it.

http://www.ftrain.com/google_takes_all.html
and
http://www.ftrain.com/google_semweb_commentary.html

...are also interesting reads when thinking about these kinds of app.
The trust-metrics issue will become increasingly important if we're looking
at matchmaking arbitrary buyers and sellers via foaf...

dan

Dan

* Ian Davis <iand at i...> [2002-11-29 20:28+0000]