[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Use Case

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Tue Oct 22 14:04:31 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Doug Ransom wrote:

> I guess the issue is that the person might change email addresses. But I
> suppose a once-owned-address property might work if they ever generate a
> foaf (I doubt they ever will anyway).

That's the subtle-ish bit. It is ok for people to own several email
addresses. And it is ok for them to stop using some of those addreses. If
we define the foaf:mbox property as relating the first owner of a mailbox
to their mailbox, it is still ok to say things like 'Dan Brickley was the
first owner of mailto:daniel.brickley at b...' even after I stop
actually using it for mail. Same goes for homepages etc., these are all
just different -- indirect -- ways of identifying someone via tiny little
descriptions. We don't confuse them with their homepages and mailboxes,
just describe them by reference to these things 'cos homepages and
mailboxes are much less controversial things to identify than people.

Dan