[rdfweb-dev] foaf weblog'd

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Tue Sep 24 23:19:07 UTC 2002

Hi Phil,

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Phil Ringnalda wrote:

> Dan Brickley wrote:
>
> > Nobody seems to have noticed codepiction yet. We should get another round
> > of crazy linkage from that at some point!
>
> Not unless you add some vocabulary to describe codepiction with a cat

:)

Since you ask...

Don't think we have any cats yet. (see below; turns out there is 1 listed,
along with a picture of it).

There is a Rock Rabbit (or 'hyrax') though,

http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2001/08/codepict/codepict.jsp?mbox=mailto:rocky-fanmail@r...

RDF is at:
http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/2001/11/rabbit/rock.rdf

It uses the Wordnet vocabulary, which has maybe 50,000 noun terms in it.
There are a few bugs in my implementation of Wordnet as an RDF vocabulary,
but the basic idea is really fun. Here's the relevant markup fragment:

<wn:Rock_hyrax foaf:name="Rocky the RockWabbit">
<foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:rocky-fanmail at r..." />
<foaf:depiction>
<foaf:Image

rdf:about="http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/photos/1997/safrica/Image058B3.jpg">
<foaf:thumbnail
rdf:resource="http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/photos/1997/safrica/thumb-Image058B3.jpg"/>
<dc:title>Rocky and Damian</dc:title>
<dc:description>A photo of Damian and a Rock Hyrax in South
Africa, on top of Table Mountain.</dc:description>
</foaf:Image>
</foaf:depiction>
</wn:Rock_hyrax>

...note the use of the wn: prefix, which (if you look at the whole RDF
file) is associated with the Wordnet RDF vocabulary, whose full identifier
is http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/

You'll note we took a few liberties. Most of our user interfaces assume
we're talkign about people, and that we identify them indirectly, via a
mailbox they've owned. Hence mailto:rocky-fanmail at r... which is
stretching plausibility a bit.

A bit more information on Wordnet (which was created elsewhere) and RDF,
or at least my take on the problem: http://xmlns.com/2001/08/wordnet/

So you could just use 'Cat' instead of Rock_hyrax, since Cat is already in
there: http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Cat (I much prefer this approach;
instead of having a big debate about which words to include in FOAF, we
just make a huge vocabulary with 1000s of them in...).

(hmm, I bet you weren't expecting a serious answer!)

> (and
> good luck getting consensus on which side of foaf:ownedBy should be the
> human and which the cat).

lol!

Dan

ps. you can find some pictures of Rocky using Jim Ley's image annotation
tool. See http://www.jibbering.com/svg/AnnotateImage.html and nearby.
You'll need a browser that understands the SVG image format though (eg.
Adobe's SVG plugin):
http://www.jibbering.com/rdfsvg/search.1?noun=Cat
http://www.jibbering.com/rdfsvg/search.1?noun=Rock_hyrax