[rdfweb-dev] IM URIs

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Aug 1 20:02:28 UTC 2003

There is some debate within the IETF right now on the exact meaning of
these URIs. However, I don't think that this URI spec would apply to
ICQ or AIM, since they use flat address spaces for their numbers and
screen names; i.e., the following addresses may look nice but they don't
really exist:

123456789 at icq.com
MyCoolScreenName at aol.com

However, Jabber *does* use addresses of this kind, which means that
Jabber IDs can be properly expressed as URIs using this scheme. I'm not
100% sure on MSN and Yahoo addresses, since they often/usually/always(?)
seem to be associated with email addresses as well, which are valid URIs
though with a different scheme.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre