[rdfweb-dev] Class for FOAF documents?

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Fri Aug 1 20:50:14 UTC 2003

Hi, all. Long time FOAF-er, first-time poster. A quick scan of the wiki
and list archive didn't turn up anything on this subject, but my
apologies if it's come up already.

I think it would be useful to have a class akin to foaf:FOAFDocument (or
foaf:Dataset, or foaf:FOAFInformation, or whatever; the name isn't
important). Essentially, a resource of the type foaf:FOAFDocument is
expected to describe one or more entities using FOAF. (As opposed to
merely using some FOAF terminology.) This would help distinguish the
various types of resources which may describe a person. For example, if
I have a FOAF file and a description in HTML, I could say:

  <foaf:FOAFDocument rdf:about="my-foaf">
    <foaf:topic rdf:nodeID="me"/>
  </foaf:FOAFDocument>
  <foaf:Document rdf:about="my-bio">
    <foaf:topic rdf:nodeID="me"/>
  </foaf:Document>

I know some FOAF agents will check both documents to see if they contain
FOAF descriptions, but more conservative agents can save time by only
checking resources which are asserted to have the type
foaf:FOAFDocument.

This also suggests that FOAF files could contain a header like:

  <foaf:FOAFDocument rdf:about="">
    <foaf:topic rdf:nodeID="me"/>
    <foaf:maker rdf:nodeID="me"/>

    <!-- tell interested processors where to find extra terms -->
    <owl:imports rdf:resource="additional-terms"/>
  </foaf:FOAFDocuments>
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> | "In this house, we obey the laws
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem>      |        of thermodynamics!"