[rdfweb-dev] on writing scutters

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Mon Aug 4 08:52:23 UTC 2003

* Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> [2003-08-03 14:06+0100]
> Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> wrote:
> >* Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> [2003-08-03 13:01+0100]
> >>gzip, etag, last-modified, http codes, refresh strategies, caching data
> >>
> >>http://www.voidstar.com/submit.php?mod=blog&op=edit&id=1474
> >>
> >>The text is public domain. Do what you like with it.
> >
> >Sounds awesome! :)
> >(tho I get "You are not authorized to access to this page" right now...)
> >
> >Without having seen it, I wonder whether it might be good material
> >to include (by reference or copied in) in the non-scutter-spec at
> >http://rdfweb.org/topic/ScutterSpec ?
>
> http://www.voidstar.com/node.php?id=1474
>
> Doh!

Thanks. Nice work!

Now plugged from http://rdfweb.org/ ->
http://rdfweb.org/mt/foaflog/archives/000055.html

Couple of thoughts. One is that aggregators certainly need to take
account of everything you say, but there also ought to be a longer
checklist, covering privacy, legal issues (which will vary country to
country). Harvesting personal data isn't quite the same as harvesting
web pages or weblog posts, _especially_ when the aggregate is then
presented back to the network in human and/or machine interfaces. I
started on a note re privacy,
http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2003-June/011254.html but it only
really scratches the surface...

The other thought was that it'd be really nice to have a robots.txt-etc
aware scutter for everyone to use. Right now FOAF is very much in a
world where hundreds of intrigued/skeptical/curious webloggers are
posting .rdf files, and a few ivory tower RDF geeks are harvesting them.
I think the raw materials (http://rdfweb.org/topic/ScutterSpec links a
few) are almost there for this situation to be levelled a bit, and for
anyone to build their own FOAF aggregate. I put my worlds-worst-scutter
in the wiki as http://rdfweb.org/topic/TinyCrapScutter (formerly
'ayf.pl') as a curiousity, to show something tiny that can crawl FOAF.
I'd love to replace it with something better. (BTW if that page proves
problematic we can remove it, though I doubt it will).

So every time I see someone with a half-shipped FOAF scutter tool I bug
them about packaging, polishing etc... (mattb? zool? libby? eikeon? ...).