[rdfweb-dev] on writing scutters

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon Aug 4 12:02:08 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> wrote:
>Couple of thoughts. One is that aggregators certainly need to take
>account of everything you say, but there also ought to be a longer
>checklist, covering privacy, legal issues (which will vary country to
>country). Harvesting personal data isn't quite the same as harvesting
>web pages or weblog posts, _especially_ when the aggregate is then
>presented back to the network in human and/or machine interfaces. I
>started on a note re privacy,

But it's not that different. When I put FOAF on Ecademy I got quite a
lot of push back from a couple of individuals. I did the research and
found that they had a CV page on the web and showed them not just that
but the Google cached version as well. The FOAF version of the data is a
lot easier to parse than a general web page, but it's the same data.

Mostly I think the issue is the old one. Don't put data into your foaf
file that you're not responsible for or where you have approval from the
owner. Like other people's email addresses.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433