[rdfweb-dev] bio:olb --- text or hypertext?

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Aug 5 09:40:04 UTC 2003

Ian,

re http://internetalchemy.org/vocab/bio/0.1/ and bio:olb properties, I
just noticed http://pvr.blogs.com/foaf.rdf wherein someone has described
themselves using a fragment of HTML (via TypePad). In TypePad's default
HTML presentation this unsuprisingly shows itself as hypertext. My
concern is that consumers of the RDF/XML version won't know whether the
entity-escaped markup in the bio:olb property is to be considered
markup. In general I doubt they would.

So...

Should we encourage TypePad to strip the markup before presenting it as
bio:olb? ie.

<bio:olb><![CDATA[I'm a web developer and designer, currently the
Creative Director at <a href="http://creativecommons.org/">Creative
Commons</a>. I also run <a
href="http://www.metafilter.com/">MetaFilter</a> and <a
href="http://a.wholelottanothing.org/">my personal blog</a>, among <a
href="http://haughey.com/sites.html">other sites</a>. ]]></bio:olb>

...would become:

<bio:olb>I'm a web developer and designer, currently the Creative
Director at Creative Commons. I also run MetaFilter  and my personal
blog, [...etc]</bio:olb>.

A bit lossy, but would also encourage good hypertext style, ie. 'click
here' idiom wouldn't make sense.

What do you reckon?