[rdfweb-dev] Re: bio:olb --- text or hypertext?

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Aug 5 11:38:31 UTC 2003

* Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> [2003-08-05 07:22-0400]
> * Ian Davis <iand at internetalchemy.org> [2003-08-05 12:18+0100]
> > On Tuesday, 05 August 2003 at 10:40, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >
> > > Should we encourage TypePad to strip the markup before presenting it as
> > > bio:olb? ie.
> > Yes, I agree completely with this. It's intended usage is a simple one line
> > description of a person and their achievements etc. Detail should be
> > brought out into machine readable elements. In the example you're
> > using it would be good to see usage of foaf:made, foaf:weblog etc.
> > Descriptions of current and past employers is biographical information
> > too but needs careful thinking to get the chronology semantics right.
>
> OK, in that case I'll raise a ticket in the TypePad issue tracker, and
> cite this discussion.

Done. It's Support Ticket: 003062 for those who can see them.

[[
On August 5, 2003 12:32 PM, you (Dan) said:

Your FOAF feeds are currently escaping rather than removing hypertext
markup (html fragments) from the 'one line bio' field.

I just checked with Ian Davis, creator of the bio:olb property, and he
agrees that it would be more appropriate to remove hypertext than escape
it. See thread beginning
http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2003-August/011590.html for
example and discussion.

You probably want to strip foaf:name and other non-HTML text fields like
this too, but they're less likely to contain markup.

The help text for this field should probably either advise against
markup, or stress that the text should read normally without hyperlinks.