[rdfweb-dev] Re: bio:olb --- text or hypertext?

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Aug 5 14:39:36 UTC 2003

* Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> [2003-08-05 10:31-0400]

> / Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> was heard to say:
> | Should we encourage TypePad to strip the markup before presenting it as
> | bio:olb? ie.
>
> YES!

Done. I agree escaping is wrong. I don't think it was TypePad's fault though,
there was nothing they did to encourage people to type markup into that
text field. The presence of the angle brackets seems to have triggered
their code (probably XML::FOAF in CPAN) into escaping that entire field,
rather than doing it with entities. But I expect it would behave the same
even if it was just a casual use of '<' in prose, ie. "I am >30 yrs old".