[rdfweb-dev] Re: bio:olb --- text or hypertext?

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Aug 5 21:54:05 UTC 2003

Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> wrote:
><soapbox>
>There are absolutely no circumstances in which escaped markup should
>ever be rendered. It is an unacceptable design.
></soapbox>

So it's never acceptable to transport markup from one application to
another using XML. Fine. I won't use XML then. I'll just have to
transport the markup out of band.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, some damn user has typed some damn
mis-spelt html into a damn plain text field because they could. And that
field ended up in some XML. And I don't want to upset the app that's
going to read that XML because the parser refuses to try and parse
anything that's not perfect. So I selectively strip tags, escape any
special characters that are left and try and cope with feral "less than"
signs. And every so often it still doesn't work.

But then you knew that.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433