[rdfweb-dev] bio:olb --- text or hypertext?

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Wed Aug 6 03:36:24 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley writes:

> re http://internetalchemy.org/vocab/bio/0.1/ and bio:olb properties,
> I just noticed http://pvr.blogs.com/foaf.rdf wherein someone has
> described themselves using a fragment of HTML (via TypePad). In
> TypePad's default HTML presentation this unsuprisingly shows itself
> as hypertext. My concern is that consumers of the RDF/XML version
> won't know whether the entity-escaped markup in the bio:olb property
> is to be considered markup. In general I doubt they would.
>
> So...
>
> Should we encourage TypePad to strip the markup before presenting it
> as bio:olb? ie.

Assuming TypePad isn't encouraging people to enter markup in the
one-line bio field, then I say they should preserve the entered text,
both in the FOAF file and the web display.

That is, if I put "Co-founder of <blink> must die!" in my one-line bio,
it should appear in the FOAF data as:

  <bio:olb><![CDATA[Co-founder of <blink> must die!]]></bio:olb>

and in the HTML version as

  Co-founder of &lt;blink&gt; must die!

Alternately, if they *are* encoraging markup, then they'll need to do
some syntax checking anyway, at which point they can either strip the
markup or (my preference) include it using parseType="Literal".
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>