[rdfweb-dev] Some RDF stats

Martin L Poulter M.L.Poulter at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 09:56:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Dan Brickley wrote:

Dan,
	+1 for your suggestions on gender and birth date/time.

> there a better URL we should cite from http://rdfweb.org/topic/FoafVocab ?

Now I check view that Wiki, I see that my suggestions have been multiply
anticipated, so sorry for not RTFW.

> > That would seem to be a pretty fundamental aspect of demographic
> > information: how are people who discover your FOAF file going to know
> > when to send a birthday present?
>
> One issue: I'm quite happy w/ people knowing when I was born, but some
> are not, either for general privacy reasons, or perhaps because there
> might be security concerns... Is date of birth one of those things like
> mother's maiden name, US nat insurance number etc that doesn't seem like
> security-related info but often gets used that way?

No, I don't think it is one of those things.
Anyway, nobody is being forced to reveal their date of birth!
Okay, I see that people might want to reveal their birthday but not
their age, and what has been suggested does not allow this, but if
someone cares that much they can just lie about their age.
--
Dr Martin L Poulter    Senior Technical Researcher, ILRT, Bristol, UK
Research interests: Philosophy of belief and Bayesian inductive logic

Home Page: http://www.weird.co.uk/martin/
for Cult Concern FAQ + WEIRD (not WIRED) + "Bob" in the UK + Automated Love
+ Scientology Criticism + Sexual Politics + Helena Kobrin's Legal "Ethics".

Community blog: http://www.weird.co.uk/blog/