[rdfweb-dev] Some RDF stats

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Thu Aug 7 15:55:22 UTC 2003

> One issue: I'm quite happy w/ people knowing when I was born, but some
> are not, either for general privacy reasons, or perhaps because there
> might be security concerns... Is date of birth one of those things like
> mother's maiden name, US nat insurance number etc that doesn't seem like
> security-related info but often gets used that way?

I suspect that some people will object to letting others see how old
they are (hey I'm 33, a mere adolescent in hobbit terms). However I
can't see too many objections to declaring one's birthday (15th June if
you want to send me a card next year). After all FOAF is about social
networks isn't it?

ISO8601 lets you miss out a year by replacing it with a dash:

<foaf:birthday>--06-15</foaf:birthday>

Looks a bit cryptic though.

-- Ian <iand at internetalchemy.org>
"Chance favors only the prepared mind."