[rdfweb-dev] why wordnet is cool...

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Fri Aug 8 09:06:37 UTC 2003

http://rdfweb.org/topic/WhyWordnetIsCool

A quick wiki page, showing (from some photos I took last night) how
Wordnet provides noun-terms--as-classes for classifying them. For each wordnet
term, you can compose a URI like this:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Cowboy_hat

(this is de-referencable to an RDF doc further describing the class of
cowboy hats)

(Hmm it looks like concepts with spaces in the name might not work. All
the more reason to upgrade that script.)

Anyway main point is the level of detail in wordnet, it's really pretty
cool, especially for a free dataset.

<foaf:Image rdf:about="http://rdfweb.org/people/danbri/media/2003/08/1/376j0234.jpg">
  <foaf:depicts>
     <wn:Cowboy_hat/>
  </foaf:depicts>
  <foaf:depicts>
     <wn:Film-5/>
  </foaf:depicts>
</foaf:Image>

This illustrates quite nicely how non-FOAF namespaces can plug together
in RDF without explicit pre-coordination. It just happens that I was
involved with creating both namespaces; technically, neither references
the other. Doing that in raw XML would be tricky, you'd be left not
being able to say much in either schema except 'anything goes'...