[rdfweb-dev] RDF Parsers

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon Aug 11 08:19:32 UTC 2003

Edd Dumbill <edd at usefulinc.com> wrote:
>As I've said elsewhere, RDF parsers
>are plentiful enough now.  There need to be very very strong reasons not
>to use one.

I'll try for some light instead of heat ;)

Java
- Jena seems well respected and widely used
- ARP. Any comments?

PHP
- RDF-API is pretty complete and improving fast. Has trouble with large
models. It now supports querying triples in a large SQL triple store but
a model has to be imported into memory before being written to the dbms.
Nothing else worth looking at.
- I would love to see a native C PHP module for RDF in the same style as
DOM, expat, XML-RPC and others.

Perl
- RDF::Core
- ??

Python
- cwm.py ?
- ??

C#
- Drive. Mixed reports. One person I know threw it out due to bugs and
function limitations.
- Jason Diamond RDF Reader. That person is trying with this

Redland-Raptor. No Windows binaries so that counts it out for me. I
don't have time to try and create a windows build environment for both
this and php. Although a lot of my deployment is on LAMP, I develop on
windows (WAMP!). Build instructions for php are minimal so even on LAMP
this might be awkward. Consequently, I've no idea if it's any good.

SeeAlso
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/cat_ix.html#SC_RDFParser

--------------------------

If and when we get to the point where there is an obvious market leader
for each environment, is it sensible to think about some standard code
for parsing rdf files that are primarily foaf? Something along the lines
of Mark Pilgrim's "Ultra liberal feed parser". While ignoring the "ultra
liberal" bit of course, I don't want to go there! Perhaps this is where
XML::FOAF is heading?

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433