[rdfweb-dev] RDF Parsers

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 09:35:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:19:32 +0100
Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> wrote:

> Edd Dumbill <edd at usefulinc.com> wrote:
> >As I've said elsewhere, RDF parsers
> >are plentiful enough now.  There need to be very very strong reasons not
> >to use one.
>
> I'll try for some light instead of heat ;)

here's some more information

> Java
> - Jena seems well respected and widely used
> - ARP. Any comments?

There are at several RDF/XML parsers for Java.
ARP, ARP2 are well respected and very good (although, a bit slow)

Sesame has one of it's own which was reported recently as up-to-date
with the latest specifications.

VRP - was tracking things but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.
Unique in that it models from Unicode all the way to RDF/XML
in one application.

RDF Filter - an older and un-maintained SAX2 parser, avoid nowdays.

SiRPAC is ancient and was the first RDF parser, avoid nowdays.

> PHP
> - RDF-API is pretty complete and improving fast. Has trouble with large
> models. It now supports querying triples in a large SQL triple store but
> a model has to be imported into memory before being written to the dbms.
> Nothing else worth looking at.
> - I would love to see a native C PHP module for RDF in the same style as
> DOM, expat, XML-RPC and others.

People seem to like the phpxml stuff.

> Perl
> - RDF::Core
> - ??

Alberto already replied

> Python
> - cwm.py ?

No, incomplete at present.

> - ??

rdflib is very good and complete.

> C#
> - Drive. Mixed reports. One person I know threw it out due to bugs and
> function limitations.

I've had good reports of this, especially since V2 has been annouced.
the http://www.driverdf.org/ site notes it is is compliant with the
latest updates.

> - Jason Diamond RDF Reader. That person is trying with this

Not being maintained and out of date, avoid.

> Redland-Raptor. No Windows binaries so that counts it out for me. I
> don't have time to try and create a windows build environment for both
> this and php. Although a lot of my deployment is on LAMP, I develop on
> windows (WAMP!). Build instructions for php are minimal so even on LAMP
> this might be awkward. Consequently, I've no idea if it's any good.

Oh thanks.  Not much light from you there after the first 2 words.

It's a parser written in C to start with and up-to-date with the revisions.

As the author, I'll note raptor alone is widely used across multiple
platforms including MS Windows and people seem pretty happy.  I tested
it last week on 600M+ of rdf/xml from musicbrainz which it handled at
over 60,000+ triples/second (9.8M triples total) on my year old desktop
PC.

Redland's a different, general RDF library in C and provides amongst
other things, parser interfaces across Perl, Python, Java, Tcl, Ruby,
PHP and C#. The later ones in this list I don't support as well as the
first two.

I'd hope for less moaning at me for not providing free ($, freedom)
software for a platform I don't use, in a language I don't use.  Please
try to be more constructive.  If you can't be bothered to spend any
time improving free software, don't expect it to get better on it's own
for your application.

Dave