[rdfweb-dev] foaf:foaf

Sean B. Palmer sean at mysterylights.com
Mon Aug 11 11:37:42 UTC 2003

> I think it'd be useful to add an foaf:foaf property to
> FOAF, too, but that's another rant.

I have the most rediculous of times trying to find people's FOAF
feeds, for some reason. Google usually gets there in the end, but if
everybody started using foaf:foaf in their FOAF files, it would make
things a lot easier for me.

It would be a very beneficial property to have for other reasons, too.
For example, I have an FOAF file reachable by two URIs:-

   http://purl.org/net/sbp/info
   http://infomesh.net/sbp/info.rdf

And because the former redirects to the latter, people tend to use the
latter URI. If I had an foaf:foaf property linking me to the first
URI, perhaps people wouldn't necessarily stop using my less preferred
URI, but at least I'd've stated formally that I prefer the PURL.

We have FOAF properties for almost every information oriented aspect
of a person's existance now, with the exception of FOAF files
themselves--wouldn't it make sense to add it? Here's the proposed
specification of the property, in N3:-

   foaf:foaf rdf:type rdf:Property;
      rdfs:label "foaf";
      rdfs:domain foaf:Person;
      rdfs:range foaf:Document;
      rdfs:comment """For foaf:foaf(x, y), y is the FOAF file of the
person x.""" .

So do I have to get consensus on this list, or bribe danbri, or both,
or what?

Sean B. Palmer, <http://purl.org/net/sbp/>
"phenomicity by the bucketful" - http://miscoranda.com/