[rdfweb-dev] Time's running out?

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Sun Aug 10 00:44:44 UTC 2003

"Victor Lindesay" <victor at vicsoft.co.uk>
> As the domain of foaf:knows is declared as foaf:Person, all subjects in
> statements with a foaf:knows (or any FOAF property with a domain of
> foaf:Person) predicate can be assumed to be of type foaf:Person.

Not assumed to be they are, or the data is a wrong.

> This of course adds volumes to the amount of processing and code
> required.

I find it saves code, you can ignore the rdf:type of the person, unless
you're specifically looking for incompatible types (and that requires owl
and stuff, so you can see if they're defined as disjoint etc.  If you're not
working at this from an RDF interest standpoint, I think you can very safely
ignore this, without harmful effects.

> Also it makes 'validation' harder because if we imply a
> subject type then we should check that all other properties of this
> subject are consistent with our implied subject type.

Why do you care about the type at all?

does it matter if libby is a foaf:Person, a wibble:Programmer, or what?
what's interesting are the properties, if there's OWL about saying that
they're disjoint, then foaf:knows etc. would be wrong on a
wibble:programmer, but that's about it.

Jim.