[rdfweb-dev] Time's running out?

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Mon Aug 11 21:31:25 UTC 2003

"Victor Lindesay" <victor at vicsoft.co.uk>
> > > As the domain of foaf:knows is declared as foaf:Person, all
> > subjects in
> > > statements with a foaf:knows (or any FOAF property with a domain of
> > > foaf:Person) predicate can be assumed to be of type foaf:Person.
> >
> > Not assumed to be they are, or the data is a wrong.
>
> What is the point of this remark? I have expressed myself correctly. I
> post on this list to talk about RDF and FOAF, not English.

What I mean is that anything that has a foaf:mbox propery is about a
foaf:Person (actually it might be an Agent now I believe, need to check.)
So you don't "assume it's about a foaf:Person", it _is_ about a foaf:Person,
there is no assumption, it's a fact, or the data is wrong.  You cannot know
it's wrong just from the triples (since any inconsistency in domain/ranges
may be because the other incompatible triple is wrong, not the Person
class.)

> > Why do you care about the type at all?
>
> Because I want to write software that processes data correctly. You
> might not care about crap data but I do.

Other than forcing very tight constraints on what is authored, how do you
propose to do this "validation"?

Jim.