[rdfweb-dev] Time's running out?

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon Aug 11 21:46:58 UTC 2003

Jim Ley <jim at jibbering.com> wrote:
>My approach is to find all the THINGS with a  foaf:mbox_sha1sum and then see
>what those things know, doing it this we way can ignore the type in the
>code, it does mean that we use data of the slightly less defined THINGS,
>however because of the foaf:mbox_sha1sum limitation on it being about a
>foaf:Person, we're not very limiting by just looking at THINGS, and it means
>people can use much neater syntax in their RDF docs, and I don't need to
>teach my tools about subClasses.

Trying to get my head round this. Look for mbox or mbox_sha1sum. Get
their owner, then look at the other properties of that.

Then I checked the spec to find that both mbox and mbox_sha1sum have
domain and region "not specified". So where's the limitation on them
being about foaf:Persons? Just a convention?

Then we have foaf:knows which does have Domain and Region of
foaf:Person. So if a file author is perverse enough not to use Person
for the main data, they then shouldn't use knows to link that
not-a-Person to other not-a-persons.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433