[rdfweb-dev] RDF Parsers

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Mon Aug 11 23:31:26 UTC 2003

* Jim Ley <jim at jibbering.com> [2003-08-11 20:29-0000]
> "Edd Dumbill" <edd at usefulinc.com>
> > On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 11:05, Julian Bond wrote:
> > > I'm really just stating facts here rather than moaning at you. The thing
> > > is, like it or loathe it, there are quite a lot of us app developers out
> > > there who live mostly in the OSS world but use a windows PC for home
> > > development. Purely from the POV of evangelising FOAF and RDF, I think
> > > it's important we're able to support and encourage the three platforms
> > > of pure OSS, mixed OSS and MS and pure MS.
> >
> > Agreed.  Binary, easy install, distributions of toolkits is a very good
> > idea.  I know that some of us who develop more on Linux don't have the
> > time to figure out what Windows requires, so if there are any people
> > willing to help out with an open source installer setup, I'm sure such
> > contributions would be welcomed.
>
> I've built Raptor on windows many times, simply by doing the
> "configure/make" dance, it works just the same as on windows.  Of course you
> could go for a buld using other windows compilers than gcc under cygwin, but
> they all cost lots of cash, and aren't that friendly compared to the
> configure make.

For those without Cygwin, it might be worth noting that it is possible
to grab a .exe of Raptor (or the commandline tool rapper, actually) plus
a few .dll from Cygwin itself, and it works fine on a Cygwin-free box.

I did have a .zip of this a year or so back, but haven't built one
lately. If it would be useful, maybe one of us could start doing this
from time to time. Just for those in the Windows world who haven't yet
got hooked on Cygwin and the Unixy way.

> Redland might deserve an installer, but would raptor really?

Anything to make this stuff easier.

BTW the Cygwin build I did was of a .exe; I haven't yet figured out how
to build a .dll which you could call from VB and suchlike within
Windows. That would be pretty cool...