[rdfweb-dev] Time's running out?

Victor Lindesay victor at vicsoft.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 09:45:17 UTC 2003

There seems to me to be two type of stakeholder in this thing named
'FOAF'.

Firstly there is the social networking developer whose objective is to
find or create a standard for exchanging people data. His intentions and
motivations are honourable and laudable. He wants to make better
software to provide even more value for his clients and the users of his
software.

Secondly there is the RDF pioneer whose objective is to help develop and
promote this very exciting new technology. His intentions and
motivations are honourable and laudable. He wants a framework that
allows developers to make better software to provide even more value to
clients and the users of software.

Although these two types have much in common and a common focus with
FOAF, their differing objectives are hard to reconcile. And the reality
is that the social networkers will get and implement their standard
because it is a business imperative.

It would be a pity if FOAF did not become that standard. The signs were
there - the day Julian published the Ecademy FOAF feeds should have been
the wake up call for action.

for disclaimers and details. At this point the main new feature is 50-60
pages of new cross-referenced vocabulary documentation, generated from
the
schema and per-term definitions in http://xmlns.com/foaf/doc/

Your help reviewing and tweaking these would be much appreciated.

cheers,