[rdfweb-dev] RE: Schemarama revisited

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:39:32 UTC 2003

> Consider these two scenarios.
> A paramedic calling up medical records on a PDA at an accident scene.
> A fund manager gambling with your pension using real time financial
> feeds.

> If RDF is to be used in these types of scenario (and why not) where data
> is critical, then it must fit into the accepted conventions and
> practices we use in software development, where data and validation are
> like, as it says in the song, a horse and carriage.

There's nothing that says those environments are going to be expected to use raw
data from "just anywhere".  Those two environments are QUITE likely to exist
within a well establish AND regulated framework.  We have the Securities and
Exchange Commission along with Health and Human Services that are hard at work
properly specify how information is to be used in these environment.  In the
case of health data things like HL7, HIPAA and their efforts make it actual
/criminal/ offenses to misuse personal healthcare data.

So it's not like just any old data is going to 'show up' and have expectations
of usability.  This is true if it's XML or serialized RDF/XML.

Your point is understood but the examples don't conflate to arguments about
people's failure to grasp RDF and it's usefulness in Foaf.

-Bill Kearney