Mime type, was: Re: [rdfweb-dev] seeAlso

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Aug 12 18:20:56 UTC 2003

Chris Croome <chris at webarchitects.co.uk> wrote:
>I'm guilty here -- all the RSS, RDF and FOAF files I have generated
>are served as application/xml for the simple reason that the other
>mime types cause a prompt to download the files in Mozilla rather
>than opening them...

Rather ironic that an application that uses RDF extensively internally
can't cope with the mime type externally. Incidentally, has anyone found
a workaround for this, perhaps by hacking mimeTypes.rdf?

I'm not sure all this worrying about mime types is worth it. If the
first line begins "<?xml" and a line shortly after that begins
"<rdf:RDF", you can be pretty sure it's RDF+XML. As a scutter looking
for rdf files (as opposed to html with embedded rdf) you can probably
discard anything else.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433