Mime type, was: Re: [rdfweb-dev] seeAlso

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Tue Aug 12 18:29:10 UTC 2003

"Julian Bond" <julian_bond at voidstar.com>
> I'm not sure all this worrying about mime types is worth it. If the
> first line begins "<?xml" and a line shortly after that begins

You don't need an XML PI for it to be XML.

> "<rdf:RDF", you can be pretty sure it's RDF+XML. As a scutter looking
> for rdf files (as opposed to html with embedded rdf) you can probably
> discard anything else.

an RDF document doesn't have to begin <rdf:RDF>, indeed I'm not even sure
the majority do, discarding everything else wouldn't get you much foaf.

Forcing scutters to download Word documents or Bitmap images is pretty
wasteful, much more efficient to stop download/processing as early as
possible.

Jim.