[rdfweb-dev] seeAlso

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Mon Aug 11 00:39:06 UTC 2003

Edd Dumbill writes:

> On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 08:34, Julian Bond wrote:
>> Chris Croome <chris at webarchitects.co.uk> wrote:
>>>One thought, when your weblog has a RSS 1.0 feed would it make sense
>>>to add a seeAlso to point to the blog RDF?
>
> I use this in my file, in the description of me, to indicate that a
> seeAlso points to my RSS 1.0 feed (rss namespace decl not shown here):
>
>   <!-- refer to my weblog's RSS, asserting my makership of it -->
>   <rdfs:seeAlso>
>     <rss:channel rdf:about="http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/rss">
>         <foaf:maker rdf:nodeID="edd" />
>     </rss:channel>
>   </rdfs:seeAlso>
>
> The includes the statement
>
> http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/rss rdf:type rss:channel
>
> Which is information I can use to decide to follow, or not follow,
> the link.

I've been playing around with two related vocabularies for describing
RSS-style syndication and weblogs (among other things), so the triples I
use to indicate the relationships between me, my website, and its feed
look something like this:

[1]  _:a foaf:name "David Menendez".
[2]  _:a foaf:weblog <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>.
[3]  _:a foaf:homepage <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>.
[4]  <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/> rdf:type tdl:Weblog.
[5]  <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/> foaf:maker _:a.
[6]  <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/recent.rdf> rdf:type
        rdfchannel:Feed.
[7]  <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/recent.rdf> rdfchannel:syndicates
        <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>.

Where 'tdl' is the Thread Description Language (cf.
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/2002/web-threads/>) and 'rdfchannel' is
RDF Channel (cf. <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/2002/rdfchannel/>).

There is some redundancy, naturally, but that's a byproduct of using
three+ namespaces. (Note that triple 2 indicates that the page is my
weblog, whereas 3+4 state that my homepage *is* a weblog, and 4+5 state
that it is a weblog created by me; all potentially subtle distinctions
sure to drive developers crazy.)
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> | "In this house, we obey the laws
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem>      |        of thermodynamics!"