[rdfweb-dev] RE: foaf and vcard

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Wed Aug 13 14:20:14 UTC 2003

James Carlyle said:
> Certainly in Japanese the Family Name is normally given first.

I think the pragmatic solution is to have a single foaf:name property that
contains the person's name as they would normally write it in their
locality and deprecate the current family/given name properties.

I would add a 'greetAs' property with the semantics that it represents the
form of address the person prefers when meeting new people. One would then
have some indication of how to introduce the person or greet them.

<foaf:Person>
  <foaf:name>Ian Davis</foaf:name>
  <foaf:greetAs>Ian</foaf:greetAs>
</foaf:Person>

--
Using webmail - excuse any bizarre formatting...