[rdfweb-dev] Catagory or Taxonomy

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 19:23:25 UTC 2003

hi Jonathan

there are probably a bunch of different ways to do this...I can think of
two:

in RDF, things can have 2+ types, so you could say that you are a
wordnet:Businessman as well as a foaf:Person

   <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Businessman"/>
>    <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
> </foaf:Person>

or you could use dublin core

> <foaf:Person>
    <dc:subject>Businessman</dc:subject>
>    <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
> </foaf:Person>

(see http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/)

what's the difference? I'm not sure what's better really....

- dublin core is more flexible (you could make up your own keywords,
whereas with wordnet you would need to use existing ones); but this can
also be a bad thing, since you want people to reuse your vocabulary for
it to be useful.

- wordnet gives you a bunch of built-in structure; some RDF databases
will work out that wordnet:Businessman is a subclass of wordnet:Person,
so that searches for the latter will also find the former.

Libby