[rdfweb-dev] Catagory or Taxonomy

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 08:57:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Jonathan Greensted wrote:

> Thanks Libby,

hello,

using the validator (http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet), and
some half-remembered syntax,

> Would it be valid to have:
>
> <foaf:Person dc:subject="subject">
>     <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
> </foaf:Person>

yep that's ok

> <foaf:Person foo:type="businessman">
>     <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
> </foaf:Person>

no, but you can have

<foaf:Person rdf:type="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Businessman">
    <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
</foaf:Person>

the following doesn't work:

<foaf:Person rdf:type="wn:Businessman">
     <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
 </foaf:Person>

as the namespace wn doesn't get expanded to
http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/, which is sort of annoying.

The basic syntax is here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#basic (section 2.2.1, 2.2.2)

Anyway the full thing will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

 xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/" >

<foaf:Person rdf:type="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Businessman"
dc:subject="businessman">
    <foaf:name>Jonathan Greensted</foaf:name>
</foaf:Person>

</rdf:RDF>

(if you want to combine the two)

A good starting point for the syntax is this document by Dan
http://www.w3.org/2001/10/stripes/ *but* there are variations to the
general striped pattern, and one of these is the pattern above.

It also occurs to me that probably dc:subject is really meant for
documents not people, although this isn't formally specified in the dc
schema....any dublin core types around know if it matters to use it for
people/other things?

Hope that helps,

Libby