[rdfweb-dev] foaf precursors: MCF, Enabling Inference paper

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Thu Aug 14 18:17:56 UTC 2003

Thought this might be of interest.

FOAF is defined in RDF. One of the ancestors of RDF was Guha's MCF
(meta content format) work. MCF also came with a standard 'starter kit'
vocabulary, enough to describe some common kinds of things and
relationships, most famously Web channels (as used in 3d fly thru viewer
from Apple in ~96 or so).

Revisiting http://www.guha.com/mcf/wp.html and the starter vocab,
http://www.guha.com/mcf/vocab.html is quite interesting in light of
FOAF, there's a fair overlap. MCF had more vocab for describing Web
content (docs etc) than we do.

Also nearby, origins of FOAF's depiction/depicts construct can be found
in a paper w/ Guha and others I contrib'd to (the 'depicts' example was
Guha's). http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/enabling.html

A couple years later I fleshed out that example for a paper on ILRT's
TASI site, by then having discovered Wordnet, and worked with Dave
Beckett on using his 'pngmeta' tool to put RDF inside a PNG image.
http://www.tasi.ac.uk/2000/09/rdfmeta/

Hmm, so the 'depiction' stuff is 5 years nearly, wow...