[rdfweb-dev] tangle of issues (URIs and global IDs, informationretrieval, rdfs:seeAlso, WOT...)

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 10:26:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Danny Ayers wrote:

>  Certainly URIs are inverse-functional: two resources
> > identified by the same URI are, as far as RDF is concerned, the exact
> > same resource.  (In real life this may be questionable in the presence
> > of, say, HTTP content negotiation, but this is not about real life.)
> > The question is now: are URIs functional?

A question for Aragon, who is also known as Strider, and Elessar, etc.
Things can have multiple names; multiple URIs can denote the same thing.

_Denote_, that is. HTTP content negotiation doesn't invalidate the
inverse-functional relationship, incidentally, because RDF makes an
explicit distinction between denotation (the use of a URI to name a
resource) and the dereferencing operations of HTTP (which there isn't a
consistent standard way of talking about). This is probably the biggest
single hole in the RDF world and the most tasteless thing about
"seeAlso" as it's generally used.

There _is_ a nice framework (I finally read the papers) which could be
used for describing HTTP in rdf: the "REST" model, which makes an
explicit distinction between a document, a rendering of that document,
an instance of a rendered document, etc.

HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.