[rdfweb-dev] advocating use of rdf:ID / rdf:aboutattributesonfoaf:Person tags

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Mon Aug 18 14:39:41 UTC 2003

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99 at hotmail.com>
> I don't agree.  That people undertake the effort now to make their e-mail
> address have some longevity is a sign they're just as likely to do so for
an
> identifier URL.

There's considerable value in having an email address, most people use
there's daily, there's no value to me in having a URI, in any case, remember
the mbox is defined as the 1st user of that email address so even if it
stops being usable, it's still fine as an identifier.  We could say the same
with URI, however with URI's the controller of the domain is surely the
person who defines what the URI means, so we would not be able to do it.

Consider  the URI  http://Jim.example/foaf.rdf#me as soon as the owner of
jim.example changes who it points to (maybe they lost the domain) then all
FOAF which points to that URI is pointing at a different person, however if
they'd not used the URI, but had just used
foaf:mbox="mailto:jim at jim.example" then the Person hasn't changed, and the
new owner is specifically excluded from using that email address as a
foaf:mbox.

Jim.