[rdfweb-dev] advocating use of rdf:ID /rdf:aboutattributesonfoaf:Person tags

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 15:31:43 UTC 2003

I think the key issue is that a thing can't have two urls in RDF, but a
foaf:Person could have two foaf:mboxes; so if someone uses the 'wrong'
uri for you (and many people use many uris for the same person in their foaf
files) - then RDF will see the different yous as distinct objects. Only
smushing could make them the same.

However, if your email address changes and you want people to use the
new one, the migration path is simple: you put both in your foaf file,
and smushers should then combine all the subjects of both addresses.
What you *can't* say in FOAF is that both these uris refer to you; also you
can't say, please smush these things together, because only
owl:inverseFunctionalProperties can do that as it stands, and the uri
for an RDF resource isn't a property of that resource in that sense.

So the mbox/mbox_sha1sum is a better migration path for people
identifiers that may change, and is more flexible.

cheers

Libby