[rdfweb-dev] advocating use of rdf:ID / rdf:about attributes on foaf:Person tags

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Mon Aug 18 22:40:11 UTC 2003

"Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org>
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 03:55:26AM -0000, Jim Ley wrote:
>
> > For your birthDate, I think you need to specify more than "normally in
..."
> > because that's not really useful unless we can rely on it to actually be
in
> > that format, specifying ISO 8601 would make more sense.
>
> Given previously-voiced concerns, we'd probably want to have birthDay
> (mm-dd) and birthYear (yyyy). We'd also want to settle on one particular
> profile of ISO 8601 (e.g., do we include separators such as the hyphens
> between month and day?).

I like the flexibility ISO8601 gives, it allows us to not give the year, or
even not give the date, so we're free to leave out anything we want, and
still be an ISO8601 - I might be happy to give out my year of birth, but as
I'm extremely adverse to birthday cards/presents* I don't want to give out
my actual date.  I'd say the calendar date format, which I don't believe has
any ambiguity would be appropriate.

(although it might be better to just use the RDF calendar stuff, and
whatever that uses, hopefully Libby or someone will pop-up now.)

Jim.

* This is actually true, I detest recieving presents/cards.